« My knitting in a magazine | Main | Estonian and Latvian mittens »

December 30, 2005

Home again

We're back on the mainland again. Terschelling is such a lovely island, we're so lucky to have relatives over there. This means we get to go there at least 3 times a year. In summer, there are many butterflies for us to look for and enjoy. This is a picture I took on Terschelling last summer:

Vlinder.jpg

Aaaaaahhh, summer....

Right now, I'm knitting to keep warm. Thanks to Knitty, I'm succeeding. Take a look at this:

Pocketcreature.jpg

It has a little bag filled with rice and lavender in its belly. You can take the bag out (through a very ingenious opening and closing system) and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. The rice will retain the heat for some time. You put the bag inside the creature, and put it in your coat pocket to keep your hands warm. Clever, isn't it?

Check out the pattern over here.

For all Dutch knitters, wanting to try knitting a pair of lovely Estonian mittens, take a look at the latest issue of Handwerken zonder Grenzen (on the website it says issue 132, but I'm talking about issue 133, which is in the shops at the moment). It has an interesting article about mittens from the Baltic countries, with a pattern for some great looking mittens.

HZG.jpg

If you are serious about knitting these kind of mittens and other small items, I would suggest taking a look at Folk knitting in Estonia by Nancy Bush. This is a great book, one of my main sources of inspiration. Of course, it is in English, but that shouldn't be a big problem because of the pictures and charts. And if you do need some help, let me know, I'll give it a try!

Posted by saartje at December 30, 2005 11:44 AM

Comments

hi,
I bought the HGZ also (for the mittens). But I think there is a little mistake, it says by the gauge of the mittens 37 X 33, but I think it must be 27 X 33, what do you think?
And indeed, you're very lucky to go to Terschelling a lot, I really like the island feeling and the sea.
Ajoursteek.

Posted by: ajoursteek at December 30, 2005 1:06 PM

Hi Saartja, Your handwarmer monster makes me smile! Have you found Kirikindad I and II? They are small but wonderful pattern books written by Aino Praakli (publ. dates of 2003 and 2005). They document her reconstruction of about 60 pairs of mittens from the Estonian National Museum. The two are written in both Estonian as well as English. Love your knitting, and especially enjoy your colorwork--so inspiring. Happy Holidays, Pam

Posted by: Pamela at December 30, 2005 9:47 PM

I hope you had a lovely Christmas (and of course, New Years). And congrats on the knitting article. How neat!

Posted by: say at December 31, 2005 2:01 AM

Hey Saartje!
Thanks for the incredibly adorable christmas tree hat you sent Ian! He looks so sweet in it! He wears it everywhere we go and people comment on it all the time. Did you make the pattern up yourself? If so you should post it here so more people can enjoy it! I will send you a photo of him in it.
Have a great new years and we'll give you a ring soon.

Amy

Posted by: Amy at December 31, 2005 1:19 PM

Hi Saartje,
Found your blog via Liesblog, and went out and bought a Landleven to see the article. Lovely!
Goeie jaarwisseling, groeten,
j.

Posted by: Joyce at December 31, 2005 2:16 PM

Hallo Saartje,

Ik heb je artikel in Landleven gelezen, heel leuke wanten brei je!

En het waren heel mooie foto's.

Heb je misschien het patroon van die rode muts en die rode wantjes met die hartjes voor me. Of weet je waar ik dat patroon kan vinden of kopen?

Ik hoor het graag van je.

Al vast bedankt en de beste wensen voor 2006.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Steffanie Mordhorst

Posted by: Steffanie Mordhorst at January 1, 2006 2:10 PM

Im from USA family originally dutch, loved your knit site! were the knit wrist warmers hard to make?

Posted by: Laurie at January 6, 2006 1:55 AM

Do you have any idea how we Americans can get a copy of your article and this magazine? Would you be interested in a trade?

Posted by: elka at January 8, 2006 8:30 AM