« I must have been good this year | Main | My knitting bag »

December 18, 2005

Mermaid progress

Work on Mermaid is going pretty well here. I'm almost finished with the first arm hole.

Mermaid2.jpg

Here's a close-up picture, just for fun:

Mermaid3.jpg

It's not going as slowly as I thought it would. Of course, I have yet to start the back, where the rows will be much longer than the point where I'm at now, so you can expect me to feel completely different about it soon.

Wrist warmers

Tatjana asked about a pattern for the wrist warmers I made. I don't have patterns for the ones I made, I just used a basic design from HĂ„ndplagg til bunader og folkedrakter and put my own beaded design on them. I'm thinking about putting up a kind of tutorial on my site, with pictures, if enough people are interested. Let me know!

In the mean time, here are two patterns by Fuzzy Noodle Knits:
"Stars" Wrist Warmers (I used the motif from this one on one of my wrist warmers)
and
"Checkers" Beaded Wrist Warmer

They're lovely, check them out!

If you want a totally different kind of wrist warmer, go to Knitty and take a look at the Mrs. Beeton wristwarmers. I really like those, I'll be making them someday.

Posted by saartje at December 18, 2005 3:56 PM

Comments

Hi Saartje,
Mermaid looks interesting so far. Are these short rows? sure you will show us the finished object soon! And the wristwarmers look so elegant with the beads.
BTW curious as I am I just tagged you on "What's In Your Knitting Bag?" :-)))

Posted by: Tina at December 18, 2005 7:47 PM

Hello Saartje,

I would also like Tatjana your sample that more wrist-warmly. It would be very nice from you. Mermaid looks very beautiful. Is the sample difficult to knit?

Friendly greetings from Maartje

Posted by: Maartje at December 18, 2005 9:18 PM

I love the colours of your Mermaid. I have made one myself in the orange-red colourway. It's a fun knit and a great garment to wear, so I am determined to make another one some day, which will be the same colourway as yours.

Posted by: Tari at December 18, 2005 10:50 PM

That colorway is my favorite one so far for the Mermaid. Looks like the colors of the sea! And your beaded wristwarmers really were beautiful, the nicest ones I've seen.

Posted by: Cheryl at December 19, 2005 3:00 PM

I'm in love with your Mermaid. Such fresh colors and the design is just genius. Can't wait to see you wearing her... maybe next month? :)

Posted by: Karma at December 19, 2005 11:15 PM

Hi Saartje, your mermaid seems a perfect knitted object, elegant, nice colors, easy to wear etc. I hope you'll enjoy doing it!

Posted by: fleur at December 21, 2005 9:42 PM

Your Mermaid is looking gorgeous - those colors in close up are subtle and very elegant. I personally would love to see more on wristwarmers. I've been making the same pair over and over for gifts, and could use some new ideas.

Posted by: Cassie at December 23, 2005 12:20 PM