« Snow! | Main | Thank you Sinterklaas! »

December 2, 2005

Yarn shops

Thanks for all your comments about yarn shops in Germany and the Netherlands. I do agree with Maartje and Tatjana about Germany being sock yarn paradise, but maybe not so great for the more 'special' yarns. I always check out the sock yarn section first when I enter a yarn shop, I'm totally a little obsessed with sock yarn. But I really do think Germany has to be the European country with the most yarn shops. I think the Scandinavian countries are good too, but in when you go south, yarn is difficult to find. I only have tried to look for yarn in France, Spain and Italy, but I'm always a little disappointed. Although France has La Droguerie, of course, a really great shop (without sock yarn, however...). The yarn I used for the purple gloves I showed you in my last entry came from La Droguerie, by the way.

Another shop I really enjoy is Modilaine in the center of Utrecht (in the Netherlands). Here is a picture I took yesterday:

Modilaine.jpg
Modilaine
Lijnmarkt 22
Utrecht

They don't have a website. They sell Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Lana Grossa, Regia and lots of other yarns. They also have a large collection of knitting needles, which can be difficult to find in the Netherlands. It's quite a small shop, but I can absolutely recommend it!

Knitting
Yes, I'm doing a lot of knitting every day, none of which I can show you until after the 11th of december, after the Sinterklaas celebrations are over for this year.

Here's one thing I can show you, because the intended recipient won't be surfing the internet [although you never know with a feline.....].

Slang.JPG

It's another little felted snake. My cat Dropje tried to steal it right after I took this picture, but I managed to save it. I'll make another one for her later. The idea for the snake came from this website. I usually use pure wool and felt them after knitting, to make them a bit sturdier. They're a big hit with all cats!

Posted by saartje at December 2, 2005 6:14 PM

Comments

I love the idea of a felted snake for the kitties. Plus they will use up the odds and ends of feltable wool that I have in a basket. I just don't think my kitty will play with them. But my brother has 3 cats and they will make great gifts.

Posted by: Mia at December 2, 2005 11:18 PM

you can find here http://alysse-creations.info/
all yarns for socks and sandrine is a nice girl
in Paris you can fin rowan and other yarn here
http://www.lebonmarche.fr/ but from bon marche only in the shop ,if you need some other address
you can ask on some french knitblog the most gilrs understand english because she knit pattern in english like me ..oki my english is not really good or enough but i think i can help you some time for french yarns in france.

Posted by: monique at December 3, 2005 4:45 PM

The felted kitty snakes are so cute! I wonder whether mine would like one or two or three ;-) She's very much into toys that are small enough for her to pick up with her mouth and bring back to me to throw again - my little doggy kitten, lol.

Posted by: Tatjana at December 3, 2005 5:28 PM

Hi Saartje, I agree in France we have very few shops and wool is difficult to find. However they do exist! But most of us still buy wool abroad thanks to Internet!!

Posted by: fleur at December 5, 2005 10:18 PM

big grin as the pic shows the sock section of modilaine...

Posted by: nrrdgrrl at December 6, 2005 9:13 AM

Heb het artikel in Landleven gelezen. Je maakt mooie dingen. Is er ook een patroon van de noorse muts en wanten? Verkoop je ook breiwerk.
Zelf kan ik door operaties aan de schouders niet meer zoveel breien, vandaar m'n vraag.

Groeten

Nelli.

Posted by: nelli mazereeuw at December 27, 2005 9:51 PM

Hallo Saartje,
Ik zag net als bovenstaande je artikel in het blad Landleven. Je maakt veel verschillende en mooie dingen. Het lijkt me leuk een Noorse muts en handschoenen te breien. Heb je daar een patroon van? Ik hoor het graag!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Peggy

Posted by: Peggy at January 25, 2006 11:57 AM

Hi Saartje,

There's a few of us from the US living in Belgium near the Dutch border. Could you please recommend some good yarn/fiber shops? We live near Maastricht (Pipoos is the only shop we've found but it's more for crafts) but we are willing to travel a bit for a good shop (in the Benelux areas). Thanks so much, Deborah

Posted by: Deborah at February 18, 2008 10:26 AM

Hoi,

Verkoopt u ook "Koolstof garen" (Carbon fiber yarn"?

Graag u prijs en verzendkosten ontvangne.

Gr,

Posted by: DC at January 22, 2012 10:20 AM

Hi Saartje,
I am very happy to know your interest for the knitting goods. For your nice reference I have a peruvian company specilized in finest yarns, I have ready for delivery the following:
* Finest 100% baby alpaca wool yarns in skeins
NM. 4/9 DK packed per 10 skeins of 50 grs. ea.
Natural colours and dyed colours, too.
* Fine ALPAMIX (30% fine alpaca + 70% acrilic
wool). in skeins packed per 5 skeins of 100 grs.
each. Full assorted colours.
All my goods are of highes-quality and low prices.
I deliver to the world-wide. I have not minimum orders. Upon request I will end you the last Chart of Colours. Kindest regards,
M. LAROSA
mjlarosa3@yahoo.es

Posted by: MOISES LAROSA at May 3, 2012 10:50 PM

Hi Saartje,
* Finest 100% baby alpaca wool yarns in skeins
NM. 4/9 DK packed per 10 skeins of 50 grs. ea.
Natural colours and dyed colours, too.
* Fine ALPAMIX (30% fine alpaca + 70% acrilic
wool). in skeins packed per 5 skeins of 100 grs.
each. Full assorted colours.
All my goods are of highes-quality and low prices.
M. LAROSA
mjlarosa3@yahoo.es

Posted by: MOISES LAROSA at May 3, 2012 10:54 PM

Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you've
acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in
which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to
keep it wise. I can't wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

Posted by: best flower delivery at May 4, 2013 12:11 AM