« FO report | Main | Bear Claw Blanket »

November 20, 2006

The first Dutch SnB Day

Last Saturday, I spent the entire day at the first Dutch Stitch 'n Bitch Day, which was held in Rotterdam. I had the best time! I didn't take any workshops, most of the time I just hung out at a big table knitting with other knitters. I met so many bloggers and blog readers! It was just great meeting so many of you!

Shetland_yarn.jpg

The market wasn't really big (like I imagine the Stitches Shows in the USA), there were 23 booths. Most of them had great yarns, so I spent lots of time looking at yarn, touching yarn and finally buying some. Pictured above are the Shetland yarns I got at Klazien's Kreatie. I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for, but the colors are lovely and the price was right so...

KSH_Night.jpg

I also got three balls of the most delicious color of Kidsilk Night by Rowan. It's called Macbeth. To me, it is the most beautiful color, but it's also hard to capture in a picture. Just imagine it's a really dark purple with added sparkles. I want this to become a lovely stole or shawl of some kind.

Things.jpg

Some other things I got: a set of 4 mm bamboo dpns by Clover, a skein of Silkwool (a new yarn from Klazien's Kreatie, it's 52% silk and 48% wool, 100 g = 550 m) and a great book with children's knits. I like the layout of this book and it has lots of great ideas to knit.

Button.jpg

And then something really unexpected and touching happened to me: a woman came up to me, saying she enjoys to read my blog. When she was in Barcelona on holiday, she bought this button for me at a yarn shop. Wow! I wore it all day, and now I'm going to attach it to my knitting bag. Thank you so much!

All in all, it was a fantastic day. I do regret not taking any workshops, but I had a great time anyway. I was terribly tired but satisfied when I got home in the evening. I can't wait till next year!
For some pictures of the event, go to Lies' blog.

Knitting

Blanket.jpg

I started a new project. I was leafing through some issues of Interweave Knits when I stumbled on this pattern for a blanket. It's in the Spring 2005 issue. I liked this pattern when I first saw it, but I had forgotten all about it. I was happy to come across it again, because I had just decided I wanted to knit a little blanket for one of my cats. She loves to sleep on my Mermaid. I don't think this is a good idea, so I'm making a blanket for her, using left over yarn from Mermaid and Salina. I hope she likes it. At least I enjoy knitting it, it's a very clever pattern.

An apology

If you're expecting an email from me: please be patient, I will get back to you. I have got a lot on my mind lately, so I'm responding to emails much more slowly than I would like. Sorry about that!

Posted by saartje at November 20, 2006 9:58 PM

Comments

i really like the Klazien's Kreatie yarn. The texture, at least visually, reminds me of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, and the colors look so rich!

What a wonderful gift the button was! Such a thoughtful act.

Posted by: holly at November 21, 2006 12:15 AM

Yeah, it was a great day, wasn't it. I also bought the Shetland for a shawl for my secret pal. See you again next year!

Posted by: yvonnep at November 21, 2006 12:16 AM

Well you've got fans ;-) The blanket will be very nice!

Posted by: fleur at November 21, 2006 12:18 AM

WOW, I love that afghan. That's amazing! It looks so beautiful. I like your color choices better too.

Posted by: Elinor at November 21, 2006 4:16 AM

Sounds like you had a really great time and walked away with several awesome treasures! I've never been to any of those kinds of shows as I don't think they have any in my neck of the woods (or at least that I am aware of).

How nice of that lady to think of you and get/give you that pin! Very thoughtful.

Posted by: Shelley at November 21, 2006 4:38 AM

Yikes, your cat sleeps on Mermaid? You are too kind;). Ehat a great haul of yarns. Those colors are lucious.

Posted by: Barb at November 21, 2006 5:30 AM

He Saartje.Prachti verslag en wat heb je weer mooie spullen gekocht!
De volgende SnB avond wil ik je wel de opgestoken kennis van de workshops Schaduwbreien en Moebius sjaal overdragen. Het haken bij Debbie was ook leuk maar niks nieuws dus als je haken kan dan heb je daar niks gemist.
Zie je hopelijk 6 december.

Posted by: Tijm at November 21, 2006 6:06 AM

Hey Saartje. It was really nice meeting you and chatting a bit while dribbling over the sparkly Rowan yarns. :-)

Posted by: saskia at November 21, 2006 8:15 AM

Met plezier heb ik je verslag van de dag in Rotterdam gelezen. Het lijkt me heel leuk en leerzaam om daarbij te zijn. Ik wou dat ik meer tijd had. groetjes Ineke.
Je hebt trouwens prachtige dingen gekocht en gemaakt!

Posted by: ineke kool at November 21, 2006 8:57 AM

Hi, can you give your mother a compliment again about the Frost Shawl she made? I'm still impressed by it!
And that button... I want one too! Do you know the name of the shop?
And as always: beautifull pic's!

Posted by: knitting ajour at November 21, 2006 9:16 AM

what a wonderful day - and a great idea! I love all your purchases and I wonder what you will knit from the Lucinda Guy book?
AND - I really like that design of that little blanket - what a LUCKY cat to have such treasure to lie on!
take care and show us what you knit with the Kidsilk!

Posted by: katie at November 21, 2006 10:51 AM

Hoi Saartje,
Jammer dat ik je afgelopen zaterdag niet heb gezien. Je hebt fantastische aankopen gedaan.
Ik kijk nu al uit naar de shawl die je gaat breien van de Rowan Kidsilk!

Posted by: Berthi at November 21, 2006 11:06 AM

Hi Saartje,
Thanks for your impression of the SnB-day. Nice purchases, especially the Kidsilk Haze. What a lovely colour. Isn't the sparkle itchy?
By the way, do you know that there is a webshop that sells beautiful patterns for shawls and wraps especially in Kidsilk Haze? It is called heirloom-knitting.co.uk. The patterns in this yarn are called the 'Simply Stunning'-range. I am planning to order some myself soon.

Posted by: Marijke at November 22, 2006 12:20 PM

Saartje, leuk verslag over de S,nB dag. Wat zal je genoten hebben. En wat een mooie aankopen heb je gedaan. Dat boekje met kinder patronen ziet er gaaf uit. Je kunt weer een tijdje vooruit met je spullen. Je poes krijgt wel een erg leuk dekentje!!! Groetjes....

Posted by: Marijna at November 22, 2006 10:29 PM

Hoi Saartje! Vind jij de dunne shetlandwol van Klaziens Kreatie ook zo lekker breien? Ik heb er net een paar handschoenen van gebreid en vind het geweldig! Het breisel is erg mooi en ook stevig.Ik ben ook erg benieuwd naar die Silkwool..

Posted by: ineke at November 22, 2006 11:31 PM

Ik ben op zoek naar niet-kriebelende sokkenwol. Het lijkt me leuk (door heel veel mensen warm gemaakt) om sokken te breien, alleen heb ik erg last van de kriebel die in heel veel sokkenwol zit. En dan trek ik ze dus nooit aan. Wie kan me helpen aan een merk?
Ik ben aangestoken door het breivirus door al die enthousiaste verhalen. Ik heb al 3 keer een mobiussjaal gebreid. Dat is echt heel leuk werk en heel makkelijk overal mee naar toe te nemen (zonder vallende breinaalden!) Polswarmers ook heel leuk en echt lekker warm!

Posted by: Sytske at November 26, 2006 9:54 PM

I've been reading your blog for over a year. Your posts and pictures are wonderful. You've inspired me with your beautiful knitting. I love the multicolored socks you are knitting with Arwetta and some Trekking. Are you working from a pattern or did you develop this yourself? What is the fair isle motif you are using called?

Posted by: Beth at November 27, 2006 5:17 PM

Hello,
- I'm french, i will come saturday for one week in utrecht, i would like to buy some wol (and particulary noro or rowan but if not i will be happy to buy other nice one).
- Can you maybe give me some shops name and to help me to situate them the name of other shops nearby (i now hoog cathereijn, hema, h&m...) which are in the town center.
- Do you also know craft shops / creative hobbymaterial shops ?
Thanks a lot
Muriel

Posted by: Muriel at November 30, 2006 4:26 PM

Hi Saartje, please would you be so kind as to email me the pattern for the bear claw blanket. I have spent hours on the internet to search for it but can't find it. Please would you share your pattern with me. Regard Wanda
I am from South Africa