« Holiday is over | Main | Little mittens »

August 17, 2008

Thrift shop finds

I went thrift shopping last week (one of my favourite past times) and I found some great yarn. Usually, yarn-wise, all I can find is cheap acrylic stuff I really have no desire for, but this time, I scored big time. Look at this:

Finullgarn

12 balls of Rauma Finullgarn, 100% wool, in colours I love. And for only 50 eurocents per ball.... I don't even know where you can get this in the Netherlands if you would want it. Very happy with this find!

I also found this:

Toys

A collection of small wooden toys. I especially like the little trees.

When I saw the beautiful flowers Heather Bailey made, I had a sudden urge to make one myself. Following Heather's brief description, I made this:

Flower

It was easy to make and I love the way it turned out. Particularly the rumpled edges: very clever if you ask me.

Posted by saartje at August 17, 2008 11:37 AM

Comments

Great finds! Great yarn and such lovely colours.

Posted by: Mette at August 17, 2008 12:52 PM

Wow--you really scored! You could make a really cute tam out of that Finullgarn if you ask me:)

Posted by: Heather at August 17, 2008 1:15 PM

Great yarn, I'm sure you'll make something lovely from it.

I used to work for the Rauma company for many years (they're about one hour from where we live), and back then we had one customer in the Netherlands, a shop called Lancelot in Leeuwarden. I don't know if they still exist.

Posted by: Helene at August 17, 2008 4:02 PM

What great finds! I love your flower.

Posted by: Barb at August 17, 2008 7:57 PM

The yarn is lovely. Wonderful to find exactly the colours you like. And the flower is really cheerful.
Yes, I used to buy this yarn at Lancelot, but they now focus on scandinavian clothes and I don't think they stock yarns anymore.

Posted by: Marijke at August 17, 2008 8:14 PM

Lucky you.... I have never seen such a fantastic thrifty wool find, and those wooden toys!! I am always snapping up the one or two wooden items I find. Great brooch too thanx for the link.

Posted by: Abby at August 18, 2008 1:02 AM

Wat een heerlijke kleuren. Ga je er wanten mee maken?
De bloem is prachtig, echt een eyecatcher.

Posted by: MoniqueB. at August 18, 2008 9:13 AM

Great score! The colours are great. And you probably have enough there for a nice vest or something. I really enjoy knitting with finull, it has such a wooly feel when working with it, but softens up so much in the wash when you're done.

Posted by: Guro at August 18, 2008 9:25 AM

that yarn is so lovely! Great score on that and the wooden toys. I love your flower- I've rushed on over to the link to check out how they are made, and I've never been to that site before! It looks amazing. Thanks for the link!

Posted by: Julie at August 18, 2008 6:33 PM

I love visiting your website. You inspire me, I'm up here in Alaska where I also knit, sew, and do other crafts. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: YaYaa at August 19, 2008 12:00 AM

I was looking for a hat pattern and your Noro pattern came up on Google. I love it! Could you answer a question? Did you just use one ball of Noro for the hat in your photo? If so, did the colors just come out that way naturally, or did you work to make the stripes? It's beautiful.

Thanks so much for sharing your pattern and your great photos.

-Andrea in Massachusetts-

Posted by: Andrea Harris at August 19, 2008 3:06 AM

Finding things at the thriftstore can make me so happy too.

Posted by: Kristel at August 19, 2008 9:01 AM

That IS a wonderful wool find! I don't get the time to browse the thrift stores as often as I'd like.

Posted by: Marie N. at August 19, 2008 3:45 PM

Wish I could be at thrift sales in Holland. They are so much better than the ones in Canada, here.
All those wool colours go together. What will you make with them? Delicious!!

Posted by: anita at August 20, 2008 1:58 AM

WOW!! Great score!

Posted by: Jennie at August 20, 2008 9:37 AM

ohhhh I love that wool. I have just started thrift-shopping for knitting supplies and have also been quite pleased with my finds. Not quite as lovely as yours but I do have some white DK cotton and some pure wool treasures.

Posted by: EmJayDee at August 20, 2008 10:58 AM

Altijd baas boven baas, gisteren kocht in een ex.Maxx pand in Leek (Maxx handelt in opheffingsvoorraden en "uit de mode" spullen 10 bolletjes superkid mohair a 25 gram (ze gingen alleen per pakketje van 10) voor, schrik niet, 3 Euro en 70 centen! Dat is 37cent per bolletje. Het is dezelfde dikte als de Hazekid van Drops en er lag toen ik wegging nog een pakje in donkerdennenblauwgroen (hvissengron bij Eva Rosenstand borduurgarens) en twee voetbalteamoranje. Dus niet eens in een thrift of recyclewinkel, maar gewoon in een ratjetoe maar wel nieuwzaak. MargrietA.

Posted by: M.Annema-Luinge at August 29, 2008 7:55 PM

beautiful!

Posted by: missa at September 11, 2008 6:56 PM

saartje, erg leuk die slofjes, kun je misschien de bescrijving van de blaadjes sluiting toe voegen.
brigitte

Posted by: brigitte at November 5, 2008 11:55 AM

Hoi Saartje,

Ik vind die booties ontzettend schattig. Ik zou ze graag willen breien, maar ben daar nog niet zo goed in. Zou je de beschijving misschien naar het nl kunnen vertalen?

gr. Thamar

Posted by: Thamar at November 6, 2008 9:46 PM

I am trying to print off your pattern for the booties and the pdf wont come up...could you send me a copy via email...
Thanks
Love your items...

Posted by: Deb at November 7, 2008 3:50 AM

Oh that's a very good buy for the wool.

Posted by: jackie at February 12, 2009 2:44 AM

Where have you gone saartje? New blog?
Email me with the new info?

Posted by: bonnie at February 24, 2009 6:00 PM

I was recently looking on etsy and found this page:

Is this someone selling knitted versions of your free bootey pattern? I wasn't sure but thought you might like to know.

Posted by: sparkysticks at March 20, 2009 12:27 AM

Love those little booties. My Granddaughter is having a baby any day now and I have been knitting up all kinds of stuff for him! Thanks for the pattern.

Posted by: Great GrannyM at May 18, 2009 1:48 AM

I made those liltle booties.Thank you for the lovely pattern! I love your blog , too. Pity you did not write here anymore!

Posted by: Seijasisko at May 26, 2009 1:09 PM

casio デジタル 腕時計 電波gshock 電波 ソーラー 腕時計 レディースカシオ g 時計 seiko 腕時計 ゴールド レディース腕時計 検索 時計 メンズ ランキング セイコー シチズン カシオ レディース 時計 セイコー 腕時計 メンズ ソーラー 電波腕時計 セイコー カシオ 腕時計 男性 ブランド 腕時計 最新時計 レディース カシオ 腕時計 ブランド レディースカシオ 腕時計 安い シチズン 時計 ランキング 女性カシオ 腕時計 激安 腕時計 カシオメンズ 腕時計 ランキング セイコー 腕時計 店舗 ソーラー 電波 チタンcasio gps 腕時計 seiko 時計casio 4709 カシオ oceanus 腕時計 女 人気カシオ 腕時計 電波 ソーラー 時計 セイコー メンズ

Posted by: stapetest at August 19, 2013 6:21 PM